Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Theology Discussion

Lately I have seen some behaviors and heard a few doctrines that made me wonder; so I cracked open my Bible and took some notes! Let's talk...


Item 1: Being "drunk in the Spirit"
Context: Individual says they are so filled with the Spirit they feel "drunk" in the Spirit; individual starts acting loopy, can't stand straight, or breaks out in uncontrollable laughter.
Biblical Argument: Throughout the New Testament, believers are commanded to be "sober (1 Th. 5:6,8; Titus 1:8; 1 Peter 1:13)" and "exhort to be sober-minded (Titus 2:6)". Whether we are drunk with wine or drunk in the Spirit, the effects are essentially the same – how is this pleasing to God or make a good witness?


Item 2: Being "slain in the Spirit"
Context: Individual is filled with the Holy Spirit (or "slain" with the Holy Spirit) and falls over
Biblical Argument: I couldn't find any references in the Scripture to people falling over when being filled with the Spirit; and if there is a reference to it I'm almost positive it would be when the believer was first filled with the Spirit. This behavior usually occurs when another individual touches the "slain" believer and the "slain" believer falls over. I don't see any Biblical context for this practice.


Item 3: Prophetic words
Context: Individual receives a word for another believer from God and shares it with the other believer
Biblical Argument: God speaks to His people; Jesus says that His sheep hear His voice (John 10:1-16). Christians need to be careful relaying messages they believe to be from God to other believers, especially commands or instructions for their life. You better be darned sure that this instruction is from God. If I hear an instruction from God for my own life, follow it, and it proves to be not of God, then I am the only one made to look like a fool. However, if I take this spiritual gift into the world and approach a non-believer with a word from God and it proves to be wrong, I have soiled the reputation of the Lord for that person (thus the stoning command from God).

No comments: