Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Goal: Perfection!

I have a new goal; and my first reaction was probably the same as yours will be: "Say what?"

I am striving to be perfect. No, no, that doesn't mean I'm going to try and be fake or happy all the time. My goal is to do everything right; say all the right things; have all the proper attitudes and display all the right emotions. I'm tired of messing up. I'm tired of sinning. I'm tired of hurting people. I want to be perfect.

What do I mean by "perfection"? Sinless. Is this possible without an overwhelming amount of self-control, patience and grace? No. Can I somehow attain this level of self-control, patience and grace on my own? No. My aspirations will require me to rely more on God than I ever have before!

There's some Scriptural backing for my aspirations, and I'll start with the words of Christ and move on to Paul:

Matthew 5:48 "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect"
[Note that it is a command]

1 Corinthians 13:8-10 "Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears"
[the last phrase makes it sound like perfection is attainable...]

2 Corinthians 13:9 We are glad whenever we are weak but you are strong; and our prayer is for your perfection.

And you know what? I'm no longer a sinner; I am no longer a slave to sin. I don't have to sin anymore. Perfection is attainable if I rely on Christ.

I'm totally serious about this. Keep me accountable; call me out!

2 comments:

Denny Love said...

Perfection...

The true perfection of man lies not in what man has, but in what man is. - Oscar Wilde

The vision that you glorify in your mind, the ideal that you enthrone in your heart. This you will build your life by, and this you will become. - James Lane Allen

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often. - Winston Churchill

When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. - Geoffrey F. Fisher

Unknown said...

Alex this is the first ever blog that Ive replied too.So feel special. Im with ya bro I strive after perfection atleast in my mind.It is never in my strength is what I am reminded. Christ was perfect so we dont have to feel guilty we do have to work to be approved. We are justified by faith in his perfect sacrifice. By knowing God I can know myself better and let go of my cup and run like the Samaritan woman. God Bless good luck