Friday, December 29, 2006

Your mission, if you choose to accept it...

I've been reading the Purpose Driven Life lately and have really had my eyes opened to how much God can do through one person. I read the stories in the Bible about a single man changing a nation (Moses, Joshua, Jeremiah, David, the list goes on and on) and yet I have a disbelief that I could be one of those people. But you know what? I can be one of those people. If I give my life to God and let Him work through me there's no limit to what can be accomplished. So that got me thinking...

How do I find out what my mission is? There is a lot of work to be done in America, we are a depraved nation. Where does one start if the goal is to change America? Applying what I've read, I believe there's a few things to keep in mind:

  1. I need to change myself. If I'm not “hopelessly devoted” to God and His work, then I'm useless. If I'm holding out or I don't have the faith necessary to accomplish what He's set out for me to do then I'll never get it done. God uses men in their weaknesses so that He can get the glory and not the mortal man; but to use us He has to control us.

  2. Doubt has no place in the heart of the great men. David had no doubt that he was to kill Goliath, Joshua had no doubt he was going to take the Promised Land and Ezra had no doubt he was going to rebuild Israel.

  3. Great things never get completed without others getting hurt. This is a touchy subject, but while I was reviewing the stories of the great men in the Scripture, people against God's will always got hurt. Egyptians drowned, the habitants of the Promised Land were slaughtered and Goliath died. Not to say death is always the result of God changing a nation, but there are those who don't want to see change and they will get hurt – and it may be people close to you that you're hurting. To accomplish the great, you may have to distance yourself from those you're close to so you can complete the task laid out before you.

  4. With a great power comes a great responsibility. The people chosen to do God's work were given a great responsibility and, I believe, carried a greater burden. Changing a person takes a lot of work and lot of heartache – imagine the kind of struggle one goes through to change a nation!


Can America be saved?

No comments: