Friday, December 07, 2007

The life of a good guy sucks until you die

Every path in life that we choose has painful consequences; obviously some are more painful than others. The only path in life that I can talk about from experience is the life of the "good guy"; which most people wrongly assume is the bland, easy way to get through life.

Yes, most good guys do not make many enemies by directly interfering with their life; but we still make enemies. Some dislike me for the direction in life I did not take because it means that there was a choice to go down the road they took. Going against the grain and not giving into temptation pisses a lot of people off and alienates "friends" who think that with the right amount of pressure you can be changed to become just like them.

By nature, the "good guy" doesn't hurt women; but we usually have to help clean up the messes. Good girls usually go for the bad boys before they settle down with the man they want to spend the rest of their life with. The good guys reward? Being the last in a list of lovers.

The stories of hot, meaningless, no-strings-attached sex burned my ears, wet my appetite and was thrust in my face, but I never went for it. My reward? Nothing but some congratulatory "high fives". Was it worth it? It will be after I die and get to hear "well done," but until then the pain and regret pound in my chest.

Staying away from parties was never hard, but I wonder what I missed.

When my child comes up to me and asks me which path in life will cause the least amount of pain, I have no idea what answer to give. If life had only two paths or good or bad; I know that the good is pain without memories; while the bad is pain with memories. Pick your poison, I guess.

No comments: