Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I learned a life lesson from Sweeney Todd

I did not go to see "Sweeney Todd" with the intent of learning (or being reminded of) a crucial life lesson. I went with the sole intent of being entertained and finding out what the heck a horror musical was. Throughout the movie I was covering my eyes from the gore; but in the last five minutes the life lesson came shining through to me...

SPOILER ALERT!! I AM NOW GOING TO REVEAL THE ENDING OF THE MOVIE!!

At the end, after Sweeney Todd realizes that he killed the very thing he was living for (his wife) he cradles her head in his hands and looks at her with an empty gaze. I was contemplating what could possibly be going through his mind at that moment: disgust with himself, sorrow, bitterness, anger, depression, self-hatred, etc. As he looks at her the young boy Sweeney and the pie maker had taken in grabs Sweeney's weapon of choice and kills him with it! Sweeney had let his hatred and bitterness take over so much that, in the end, it killed everything he held dear including his own life.

The life lesson is this: if you let an emotion or attitude control you it will destroy you. Any emotion, any attitude, any mindset - given enough power of you, will destroy you. Anger, bitterness, lust, hatred, regret, depression, sorrow; even "happy" or "positive" emotions can have a crippling effect on your life!

So, that's it. That's what I learned. I hope I didn't ruin the movie for those who haven't seen it (*blush*).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good morning bros. I'm really into shoes and I was digging for that meticulous brand. The prices seeking the velcros are approximately 170 pounds everwhere. But completely I base this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what can you say about it?