Monday, September 25, 2006

Christ Talking About Marriage

...[A]t the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'. So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

This block of verses packs a lot of punch; we learn a lot about what God thinks about marriage. I'll analyze each phrase:

"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife"
When the time comes to get married; the man (me) needs to leave his previous family and start a new family with his wife. I think that "leaving his father and mother" is not only implying the physical location but also the level of emotional attachment to the previous family. I am now not supposed to rely on Mom and Dad for support and encouragement, I need to rely on my wife.

"and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one"
The idea of two people becoming one flesh is a deep topic; I may address it later. There are also implications for a sexually active individual and the things an unrepentant sexually active person brings into a marriage.

"Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
I believe Christ is not only addressing divorce, but adultrey and seperation as well. If one of the partners is adulterous in action or thought, they have put a huge wedge into the relationship; seperating the two people in marriage.

No comments: